READ A BOOK – year 9 2020 Name ______________________
Books to choose from:
Teen fiction Big mouth, ugly girl by Joyce Carol Oates (book + esl-bits)
The Perks of being a wallflower by Steven Chbosky (book + esl-bits)
Looking for Alaska by John Green (only esl-bits)
Nick’s and Norah’s infinite playlist by Rachel Cohn and David Leviathan (only esl-bits)
The curious incident of the dog by Mark Haddon (esl-bits)
Horror several titles by Stephen King on esl-bits , for example The Mist
Classic fiction All quiet on the western front by Erich Maria Remarque (only esl-bits)
Of mice and men by John Steinbeck (book)
Catcher in the rye by J.D. Salinger (esl-bits)
Time to read:
Week 16-17 week 17-18 week 18-19 week 19-20
Number of pages to read week 1:
Number of pages to read week 2:
Number of pages to read week 3:
Number of pages to read week 4:
Friends with who I will discuss my book:
Questions to answer while reading and to discuss with your friends:
What do you think the book will be about when looking at the cover, the title, the first chapter?
How is the environment described?
Who is/are the main character/s? Describe them as they appear in the novel.
Who would you like to meet the most?
Do the characters seem realistic to you? Do they remind you of someone you know?
Is the story believable? Why/why not?
What do you think is the author’s purpose with writing this book?
Share a favorite quote from the chapter you have read so far. Why did you choose this one?
What do you like the most with the book?
What do you dislike with the book?
What feelings did the book give you? Explain,
Did you think of any songs/music related to the book? Make a playlist if you did.
If you would meet the author, what question would you like to ask?
What do you think about the title of the novel?
If the story could be told from another person’s view, who would that be according to you?
How could the book/the story be illustrated?
What aspects of the story could you relate the most to?
How honest do you think the author is? Is it important with honesty when it comes to fiction?
Who would you have been in the story if you could have been there?
What do you think about the end?
What to choose in order to finish up the project:
- Write a traditional book report, ask for a model or find one yourself
- Compare the book to other books in the same genre, or to TV series or films
- Draw/create a cover to the book
- Make a trailer to promote the book, use I-movie
- Find a theme in the book and discuss it in an essay using quotes from the book
- Make a copy of a page in the book (enlarged) and make black out poetry inspired by the story (ask the teacher)
- Write a song inspired by the story
- Change the ending and write a new, better, one
- Meet the protagonist in the story and write an interview article
- Write a poem inspired by the story
You can make several of the above, but at least one must be shared with the teacher. Deadline: Wed May 20th!