Reception Transport theme
- What goals from the curriculum do we want to work towards?
- Why these goals?
We chose those goals to help the children practice working together in a group. We want this to be a cross curricular topic linking maths, science, technology and communication. We want to enhance the children's knowledge about their local environment and the wider world.
Purpose/Reason behind the topic
- What do we want to achieve when working on this topic?
Encourage cooperation in a group on a shared project while also introducing the children to science, maths and technology related activities. We want to encourage the children to persevere with an activity and trust in their own ability. We want to extend the children's vocabulary related to this topic.
- What are the children interested in?
The children are interested in different types of transportation/vehicles and want to find out more about them.
- How are we going to reach the goals?
Through the activities below.
- What activities are we planning to reach our goals?
We are planning to go for transport spotting, do thought showers on what we want to learn, discuss how we get to school, which modes of transportation there are, read stories, sing songs and use junk modelling to create our own vehicles.
- How can we involve the children in their own documentation?
The children will take photos and draw and write different types of transportation.