Lesson 1: Introduction
We are listening to the first half of episode 1.
If you find it hard to understand or follow when you listen, go to this website and you will find a transcript of the podcast where you can read what they say:
Who's who??!! Here you find the people map:
Take notes about the three most important people (use the template given to you):
We will finish listening to the second part of episode 1.
In your template add more information about the people
Discuss: What do we know so far?
Homework: Listen to episode 2-4
Discuss: What new/additional information has been disclosed?
Start listening to episode 5
Homework: Listen to episode 5-6 or more!
The written assignments on Cultural barriers and Who killed Hae Min Lee? are to be handed in here on Unikum.
You are also to have oral assignments where you need to come prepared.
Written and oral assignment nr 1:
You are to write an essay (1 A4) on the topic Who killed Hae Min Lee?
After listening to the first 6 episodes of the podcast; who do you think killed Hae Min Lee? Explain why you have come to this conclusion.
During class, we will divide the class into two Groups (bring your finished essay). You will then explain to your classmates the result of your conclusions (you may have the essay in front of you, but try to speak freely)
Written assignment nr 2: Cultural barriers
You are to write an essay (1-2 A4) on the topic of cultural barriers. In your text you should include the following:
* Hae and Adnan had to keep their relationship hidden from their parents. Why? (Give Hae’s reasons and Adnan’s reasons)
* What do you think had happened if their relationship was revealed?
* Do you think the situation would have ended differently if they had been able to tell their parents about their relationship?
* Do you recognize any part of Hae’s and Adnan’s family issues in your own life?
* Does your family have a saying in who you choose as a girlfriend or boyfriend or friend? Why/why not?
* How do you think it affects young people living a double life as Hae and Adnan did?
You don’t have to answer these questions in any particular order, and you may also add other relevant points. Please remember that these are questions that shall be discussed not answered - meaning there is an essay to be written.
Discursive and argumentative text – Think about the following:
Aim – to persuade someone, to choose a side and present arguments
Structure – personal point of views, arguments and proofs
Linking words – for the first, second/secondly.. also, because, on the other hand, however
Words for convincing – this/that is obviously incorrect/wrong, it is obviously/without a doubt foolish.