Number the Stars
Chapter One: Why Are You running?
Chapter Two: Who is the Man That Rides Past?
Chapter Three: Where is Mrs. Hirsch?
1. What did Annemarie realize about her friend Ellen after Peter's visit?
2. How did Annemarie know the Hirsch's were not gone on a holiday?
3. What items were being rationed? Why?
4. What happened to Mrs. Hirsch?
5. Why did the girls always take a different route to school?
6. Explain the following sentence from page 25 of the novel:
"All of Denmark must be bodyguards for the Jews..." Annemarie said.
Chapter Four: It Will Be a long Night
1. How did the Germans find out the names of the Danish Jews?
2. Why was Kirsti upset when she and her mother returned from shopping? What was Ellen's solution to the problem?
3. What were the "booms and lights in the sky" on Kirti's birthday?
4. Why was the Tivoli Gardens important to the Danes of Copenhagen?
5. Why would Annemarie and Ellen need to pretend that they are sisters?
6. Why do you think Annemarie lied when she said the shoes looked nice?
7. Do you think it was a good idea for the Johansen's to let Ellen stay with them? Explain your answer.
Chapter Five: Who is the Dark-Haired One?
1. What was Annemarie told about the death of her older sister Lise?
2. Why did the German soldiers come to the Johansen's apartment looking for the Rosen's?
3. How did Mr. Johansen convince the German soldiers that Ellen was not a Jewish girl hiding?
4. Why was it important that Ellen remove her Star of David necklace?
5. Why had Mr. and Mrs. Johansen not looked at Lise's things since the accident?
You will find the e-book on the following page
You are suppose to read three chapters and answer the questions, this week. I would like you to send your answers to SHOWBIE.
You will also have some words as homework until next week, week 14. You will find the on www.glosor.eu.
Chapter Six: Is the Weather Good for Fishing?
1. Why were the girls kept home from school after the visit by the German soldiers?
2. What made Annemarie realize that her father was speaking in code to her uncle? What was their conversation really about?
3. Where did Mrs. Johansen, Annemarie, Kirsti, and Ellen travel? Why didn't Mr Johansen go with them?
4. Compare the area around uncle Henrik's farm in Gillelege to the Johansen's apartment in Copenhagen?
5. Why was Annemarie worried when the soldiers questioned them on the train?
6. Why did they travel to uncle Henrik's house?
7. Why do you think the Danes spoke in code words?
Chapter Seven: The House By the Sea
1. What was the name of Uncle Henrik's boat and where did he get the name?
2. What did Annemarie do with Ellen's necklace?
3. Why did Mrs. Johansen tease her brother Henrik?
4. What does the sea represent for Ellen and her family?
5. Why did Mrs. Johansen ask the girls if they saw anyone while playing near the shore?
6. Why do you think there was no laughing between Mrs. Johansen and her brother as they sat down to talk?
Chapter Eight: There has Been a Death
1. How did the girls spend their full day at the farm?
2. How did Annemarie make fun of the German soldiers?
3. Why was Annemarie surprised by Uncle Henrik's announcement that there was to be a funeral?
4. What is the old custom when someone dies? what did the family have to do to prepare for the funeral?
5. Why is Annemarie so delighted to have oatmeal, milk, cream, and butter at breakfast?
6. What did uncle Henrik mean when he said, "Tomorrow will be a good day for fishing"?
7. Why, when his sister and his nieces were visiting, would uncle Henrik spend the whole night on his boat?
Chapter Nine: Why are you lying?
1. What did Annemarie learn about Aunt Birte?
2. What does Annemarie learn about bravery in her talk with Uncle Henrik?
3. Why did Ellen make a sharp cry when she went outside with Henrik?
4. Why did Annemarie tell Ellen the truth about Aunt Birte?
5. Why was Kirsti sent to bed before Aunt Birte's funeral?
6. Who do you think the people arriving for the funeral really are?
7. Why did Mrs. Johansen and Uncle Henrik create the "death" of an Aunt Birte?
Chapter Ten: Let Us Open the Casket
1. Why did the German soldiers come to Uncle Henrik's house?
2. What did the first test of Annemarie's bravery?
3. How did Mrs. Johansen stop the German soldiers from looking in the casket?
4. Why was Peter's reading from the Bible so important?
5. Why did Ellen not smile when she looked at Annemarie during the fake funeral?
6. What do you think would have happened if the German soldiers discovered the truth about the funeral?
7. What do you think is really in the casket?
Chapter Eleven: Will We See You Again Soon, Peter?
1. What was in the casket and why was it there?
2. Where were the Rosens and the other strangers going?
3. What did Peter give the baby and why?
4. What was the purpose of Aunt Birte's funeral?
5. Why didn't Mr Rosen ask what was in the package that Peter gave him to take to Uncle Henrik?
6. What was in the package?
Chapter Twelve: Where was Mama?
1. What promise did Ellen make to Annemarie ?
2. What advice on walking the trail did Mrs. Johansen give the Rosens?
3. How did Annemarie pass the time while waiting for her mother?
4. Explain the following thoughts of Annemarie, "It was harder for the ones who were waiting, Annemarie knew. Less dangerous, perhaps, but more fear".
5. What do you think happened to Mrs. Johansen on the way back from Uncle Henrik's boat?
6. Do you think that Annemarie and Ellen will see each other again?
Chapter Thirteen: Run! As Fast As You Can!
1. What happenend to Mrs. Johansen on her way back from Uncle Henrik's boat?
2. What had Mr. Rosen dropped at Uncle Henrik's house?
3. Why did Mrs. Johansen tell Annemarie to act like a silly little girlif she were stopped?
4. What do you think Mrs. Johansen meant when she said that *it may all have been for nothing" when she spotted the parcel?
5. Why do you think Mrs. Johansen didn't tell Annemarie what she was really carrying to Uncle Henrik on the boat?
Chapter Fourteen: On the Dark Path
1. What fairy tale did Annemarie remember on the trail to Uncle Henrik's boat?
2. Describe what happened to Annemarie on the way to the boat?
3. Why did Annemarie choose this particular fairy tale?
4. Why did Annemarie have to be brave when she met the soldiers?
5. How would you have reacted to meeting the German soldiers?
Chapter Fifteen: My Dog Smells Meat
1. What was in the basket that helped fool the Germans into thinking it was Uncle Henrik's lunch?
2. Why did Annemarie behave like Kirsti when she was stopped by German soldiers?
3. Why was it good that Annemarie did not know what was in the basket?
4. Why do you think the German soldiers stopped Annemarie?
5. Why do you think the contents of the packet were so important?
Chapter Sixteen: I Will Tell You Just a Little
1. What did Annemarie learn about Peter from Uncle Henrik? What were the two clues that should have clued Annemarie in about Peter?
2. What was Uncle Henrik's explanation for each of the following.
3. What would have happened if Annemarie had not gotten the handkerchief to Uncle Henrik?
4. What do you think life will be like in Sweden for the Rosen's?
Chapter Seventeen: All This Long Time
1. Why was everyone celebrating in Denmark?
2. What happened to Peter?
3. What did Annemarie learn about Lise?
4. What does Annemarie wearing Ellen's necklace show?
5. What will the Rosen's do now that the war is over?