Number the Stars
Reading plan –
w.46 chapter 1 + questions
w. 47: chapters 2-5 + questions
w. 48: chapters 6-9 + questions
w.49 chapters 10-13 + questions
w. 50: chapters 14-17 + questions
w. 3-4 Final writing assignment
You can answer the questions either in your notebook or on your computer, but remember that everything must be handed in to me.
There will also be time to discuss the questions in small groups during the lessons.
Look at the cover, what do you think the book is about? Discuss in couples.
Question: Would you be willing to risk your life for another person? Under what circumstances would you take this risk? Write your thoughts about this in your notebook/computer.
Listen to chapter 1 together.
Q1: Why were Annemarie, Ellen and Kirsti stopped by the soldiers?
Q2: What advice did Mrs. Rosen give the girls about behaving outside? Why?
Q3: How did Annemarie show her dislike of the German soldiers occupying her country?
Q4: Why isn’t Kirsti afraid of the soldiers?
Hand in your answers to me!
W. 38: chapters 2-5 + questions
Chapter Two: Who is the Man That Rides Past?
1. What happened to Annemarie's sister, Lise?
2. Why does Peter visit the Johansen's
3. What are some hardships faced by the Danish people because of the war?
Chapter Three: Where is Mrs. Hirsch?
1. What did Annemarie realize about her friend Ellen after Peter's visit?
2. How did Annemarie know the Hirsch's were not gone on a holiday?
3. What items were being rationed? Why?
Chapter Four: It Will Be a long Night
1. How did the Germans find out the names of the Danish Jews?
2. Why was Kirsti upset when she and her mother returned from shopping? What was Ellen's solution to the problem?
3. What were the "booms and lights in the sky" on Kirti's birthday?
Chapter Five: Who is the Dark-Haired One?
1. What was Annemarie told about the death of her older sister Lise?
2. Why did the German soldiers come to the Johansen's apartment looking for the Rosen's?
3. How did Mr. Johansen convince the German soldiers that Ellen was not a Jewish girl hiding?
W. 39: chapters 6-9 + questions
Chapter Six: Is the Weather Good for Fishing?
1. Why were the girls kept home from school after the visit by the German soldiers?
2. What made Annemarie realize that her father was speaking in code to her uncle? What was their conversation really about?
3. Where did Mrs. Johansen, Annemarie, Kirsti, and Ellen travel? Why didn't Mr Johansen go with them?
4. Compare the area around uncle Henrik's farm in Gillelege to the Johansen's apartment in Copenhagen?
Chapter Seven: The House By the Sea
1. What was the name of Uncle Henrik's boat and where did he get the name?
2. What did Annemarie do with Ellen's necklace?
3. Why did Mrs. Johansen tease her brother Henrik?
Chapter Eight: There has Been a Death
1. How did the girls spend their full day at the farm?
2. How did Annemarie make fun of the German soldiers?
3. Why was Annemarie surprised by Uncle Henrik's announcement that there was to be a funeral?
4. What is the old custom when someone dies? What did the family have to do to prepare for the funeral?
Chapter Nine: Why are you lying?
1. What did Annemarie learn about Aunt Birte?
2. What does Annemarie learn about bravery in her talk with Uncle Henrik?
W.40: chapters 10-13 + questions
Chapter Ten: Let Us Open the Casket
1. Why did the German soldiers come to Uncle Henrik's house?
2. What did the first test of Annemarie's bravery?
3. How did Mrs. Johansen stop the German soldiers from looking in the casket?
Chapter Eleven: Will We See You Again Soon, Peter?
1. What was in the casket and why was it there?
2. Where were the Rosens and the other strangers going?
Chapter Twelve: Where was Mama?
1. What promise did Ellen make to Annemarie ?
2. What advice on walking the trail did Mrs. Johansen give the Rosens?
3. How did Annemarie pass the time while waiting for her mother?
Chapter Thirteen: Run! As Fast As You Can!
1. What happenend to Mrs. Johansen on her way back from Uncle Henrik's boat?
2. What had Mr. Rosen dropped at Uncle Henrik's house?
W. 41: chapters 14-17 + questions
Chapter Fourteen: On the Dark Path
1. What fairy tale did Annemarie remember on the trail to Uncle Henrik's boat?
2. Describe what happened to Annemarie on the way to the boat?
Chapter Fifteen: My Dog Smells Meat
1. What was in the basket that helped fool the Germans into thinking it was Uncle Henrik's lunch?
Chapter Sixteen: I Will Tell You Just a Little
1. What did Annemarie learn about Peter from Uncle Henrik? What were the two clues that should have clued Annemarie in about Peter?
2. What was Uncle Henrik's explanation for each of the following.
Chapter Seventeen: All This Long Time
1. Why was everyone celebrating in Denmark?
2. What happened to Peter?
3. What did Annemarie learn about Lise?