1984 and Today - Human Rights and Surveillance
1984 is a Classic. It is a political novel which portrays a totalitarian government/society. What connections can you find to today's society? How can you relate the content of this novel to your own society and other societies?
Before December 13:
1. Read the two texts - "context" and "plot overview" (see "uppgift").
2. Try to answer as many of the quiz questions as you can (N.B. there will be quite a few questions you cannot answer until after having seen the film) (see "uppgift").
December 13 and 17:
3. Watch the film.
4. Answer (the rest of) the quiz questions.
5. Read the two articles ""China 'social credit': Beijing sets up a huge system" and "Civil Rights Defenders: Internet har blivit ett verktyg för att utöva förtryck" (see "uppgift").
6. Watch this videoclip on "our digital traces" (app. 3 mins.): https://www.kunskapsmedia.se/big-data.html
7. Discuss 1984 in relation to Human Rights, Democracy and Surveillance (key words and questions = handout from your teacher) and compare with today's society. Record your discussion and hand it in!