The Big Picture - Concepts and Values
All things in our world have a shape and a colour. The two main ideas behind this lesson plan are:
1. The classroom as a teacher - These activities can be done by making simple changes in the classroom.
2. Exploring our environment - Children are natural explorers. Guide them by shedding light on various shapes that they see on a daily basis. (stop sign, a cup, the carpet)
1. What colours do you see around you?
2. What shapes do you recognize around you?
3. Which is your favourite colour?
Word wall colours: Red, blue, yellow, green, orange, purple, brown, black, white. Write each word with the corresponding color it represent for an easy recollection.
Word wall shapes: triangle, rectangle, square, circle. Draw each shape and write it's name inside the drawing. Cut out your drawings and place them at an eye level with the children.
Teach the shapes vocabulary. At the begining we prepare the shapes and different coloring paper.
1-Play matching shapes. Spread the shapes out on the floor and gather everyone around.
2-Play Touch sense and feel the shapes.
3-Do "Play-doh" shapes.